Teresa Jordan Playwright’s Competition
A Playwright’s Competition for Emerging Local Authors
This competition is named in honor of Teresa Jordan, president of the GCT board of directors from 2019-2022. Her drive to provide more entertainment and educational opportunities to the residents of Shelby County and its surrounding areas are the basis for this competition.
The Entry for the competition is $10.00. Please include a check payable to Germantown Community Theatre with the play submission. Plays without an included entry fee will not be eligible for production. Entries may be mailed to 3037 Forest Hill Irene Rd. Germantown, TN 38138.
Competition Rules and Guidelines
- All plays submitted should be written in English.
- The plays should be considered full length productions with a minimum of 50 pages and a maximum of 100 pages, including title page.
- Title page should include the author(s) name(s) and contact information.
- Submissions should be either comedy or drama. Musicals will not be considered for production.
- Plays should be able to be produced and staged simply.
- All plays sent via mail to Germantown Community Theatre should be typed and not hand-written. Any electronic submissions must be sent in a PDF file to email@example.com.
- Each submission should include a character breakdown with a maximum number of eight roles.
- Submissions for Summer 2024 should be postmarked by June 1, 2023.
- All submissions should be original works and non-published or produced at the time of submission.
- This contest is limited to local authors. All authors making submissions should have a residence within fifty miles of 3037 Forest Hill Irene Rd., Germantown, TN 38138.
- Manuscripts will not be returned. All received scripts will be disposed of securely following the selection of the competition winner.
- No written or verbal feedback will be provided on scripts submitted. Those playwrights selected for reading will be notified via their provided contact information.
- GCT staff and board members will select six plays to be read anonymously by a panel of judges. The six plays selected for reading will be announced on our website.
- Submissions with depictions of sexual violence or nudity will not be considered.
- GCT employees, their immediate families and GCT Board members and their immediate families are not eligible for the competition.
- The playwright with the winning piece will win monetary prize of $1000 and the play will be produced in June/July 2024.
- Should no suitable piece be submitted, GCT reserves the right to not declare a contest winner in any given year.