A Playwright’s Competition for Emerging Local Authors
This competition is named in honor of Teresa Jordan, president of the GCT board of directors from 2019-2022. Her drive to provide more entertainment and educational opportunities to the residents of Shelby County and its surrounding areas are the basis for this competition.
GCT announces the winner of this year’s competition Michael Hoffman and their play “Patterns”
This script will be produced in Season 53 next year.
GCT is very excited about this script and congratulates Mr. Hoffman on the achievement!
Retired police detective Tom Shell and teenage waitress Dizzy McAlister forge an unlikely bond as they analyze evidence from a string of unsolved murders. As they dig deeper, will Dizzy’s razor-sharp intellect close cold cases… or open old wounds? PATTERNS is a searing drama that explores what happens when we ask the uncomfortable questions.
We would like to thank and congratulate all the playwrights who submitted their original works for consideration in this season’s competition. The following is a list of nine plays, all of which were in the running for this year’s contest. Any local playwrights are invited and encouraged to begin submitting scripts for next year’s contest!
“Anywhere but Delaware” By Domenic-Michael Andolina
“Getting Into The Holiday Spirit” By Timothy Henderson Jr.
“The Mailman” By Timothy Henderson Jr.
“Three’s A Crowd” By Timothy Henderson Jr.
“The Vessel” By Timothy Henderson Jr.
“Patterns” By Michael Hoffman
“After Life” By Sara Palmer
“Both Sides” By Howard Pries
“Ragamuffins” By Carter Yeargan
The Entry for the competition is $10.00. Please include a check payable to Germantown Community Theatre with the play submission. Or call us to process an electronic fee over the phone. Plays without an included entry fee will not be eligible for production. Entries may be mailed to 3037 Forest Hill Irene Rd. Germantown, TN 38138
Competition Rules and Guidelines
- All plays submitted should be written in English.
- The plays should be considered full length productions with a minimum of 50 pages and a maximum of 100 pages, including title page.
- Title page should include the author(s) name(s) and contact information.
- Submissions should be either comedy or drama. Musicals will not be considered for production.
- Plays should be able to be produced and staged simply.
- All plays sent via mail to Germantown Community Theatre should be typed and not hand-written. Any electronic submissions must be sent in a PDF file to email@example.com.
- Each submission should include a character breakdown with a maximum number of eight roles.
- Submissions for Summer 2025 should be postmarked by June 1, 2024.
- All submissions should be original works and non-published or produced at the time of submission.
- This contest is limited to local authors. All authors making submissions should have a residence within fifty miles of 3037 Forest Hill Irene Rd., Germantown, TN 38138.
- Manuscripts will not be returned. All received scripts will be disposed of securely following the selection of the competition winner.
- No written or verbal feedback will be provided on scripts submitted. Those playwrights selected for reading will be notified via their provided contact information.
- Submissions with depictions of sexual violence or nudity will not be considered.
- GCT employees, their immediate families and GCT Board members and their immediate families are not eligible for the competition.
- The playwright with the winning piece will win monetary prize of $1000 and the play will be produced in the following season of shows.
- Should no suitable piece be submitted, GCT reserves the right to not declare a contest winner in any given year.